In The End of the Suburbs: Where the American Dream Is Moving, author Leigh Gallagher explains much more eloquently than I ever could what I see in Los Angeles every day: people don’t want to move away from the centers of culture and commerce to live on a cul-de-sac in Santa Clarita anymore. The millennial generation in particular, people born in the the years from roughly the early 80’s to the early 2000’s, are not following the pattern of previous generations by packing up (some might say giving up) and moving to the ‘burbs as they come of age and start popping out kids. In Los Angeles, “millennials” and older Gen-X’ers are putting down serious roots, especially on the Eastside in communities such as Silver Lake, Echo Park, Highland Park, and Atwater Village. Local folks are opening businesses, getting heavily involved in community issues, and even sending their kids to public schools and demanding better education from the LAUSD. I think that’s great! Where corporate America and chain stores might have invaded years ago, we are seeing awesome local businesses owned and operated by our neighbors such as Hyperion Public, Atwater Village Farm, Village Bakery, Potted, and an increasingly long list of retail stores, restaurants and bars. The book describes these types of trends on a much more macro scale, and gets into bigger-picture topics such as how this massive shift in where people are choosing to live affects the global economy, our environment, etc. A great read! Click here for more details on the book, and email me and tell me why I should send you a copy. One winner will be chosen at the end of August!
- 3 Bedroom Pool Home in San Gabriel!
- Highland Park Home + Apartment + Office/Storefront!
- Mid-Century Modern Classic in Silver Lake!
- Montecito Heights Contemporary – Open House Sunday 2-5
- Property of California Republic
- Spanish Bungalow in Whitley Heights
- Downtown Condo/Loft Prices Still Going Up
- Hollywood Dell Condo For Sale
- 3-Unit Income Property in Franklin Hills
- 12th Floor Loft in the Historic Core